It’s been a while since my last update but believe me I worked hard. Even if the results are small, this requires to be careful and spend time on each little detail. Especially if, like me, in your daily job you can backup or just “⌘+Z” whenever you make a mistake. Real life is hard for people like me!
Last time we talked I was just finishing my tunnel. It just needed the most important part, what makes it a tunnel and not a trench: the roof. I’ve been really careful painting the walls, applying the brick walls so the roof needed to be dark as well.
You know the recipe here: lots of glue, some heavy books and a good night rest! :-)
This part is not only the roof, but also the top of the hill where I will put the shrine. I was able to “play” with styrofoam again and make what will be a path to the top.
I also leveled the wall on the left a bit lower. I will be smaller and will make the general shape feels more natural.
Now it is time to finish my tunnel by adding the two portals. I bought them from Tomytec and they needed some paint job to look really great. I did that in two steps:
- First a really really light black paint diluted to diminish the gloss and reenforce the contrast (the liquid paint gets stuck into the cracks of the wall making them darker).
- Then brushing the reliefs with an almost dry white paint. This makes the stone look irregular giving it a more realistic view.
You can see the differences between the painted wall on the left and an untouched one on the right. It’s a subtle work but that’s what makes it look realistic.
See now the final result with the cut portal that will be against the wall, the attending wall and the main portal. I added some weathered details such as darkening the top of the arch (it’s usually made by the passage of steam or diesel trains, my tram is electric but who knows if the town hasn’t been electrified recently), adding a bit of rust next to the tracks and simulating some green foam on the floor.
Making the portals stick with glue was not easy. So I went the hard way and put tons of glue on the back. They look solid there now!
I did almost the same operation with the stone pattern I bought for the long wall. As this wall is curved, instead of risking that the long sheet starts to move (or pop-out!) someday, I just cut it in four parts. It’s a bit less interesting visually but I can later play with the cracks by adding materials or just covering them with thinner bricks. As I wanted to bend the panels a little bit, I had to heat them a bit with hot air. I kinda melted part of one… oops. but I’ll hide that part behing bushes eventually. :-D
Here’s the current look of the layout. I’m really glad with the results. It’s a stressful job for me as I told your in introduction but I’m really enjoying working with my hands on physical objects instead of pushing pixels.
Plus, almost everything I do on this layout, I do it for the fist time. The result on my workbench and the effects on clearing my mind are totally worth the work!
Next steps are finally setting the town-floor and plastering the hill.